Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Bit About Me and My Quest to Balance Life!

After a wonderful 3 1/2 day weekend, I threw myself back into the swing of things this morning.  Felt quite literal, too.  The importance of getting a good night's rest is no old wives' tale, nor should it be just something the doctor says we need and we shrug it off til the next visit.  No, sleep is absolutely one of the most important things for your health - both mentally and physically! Deprivation of sleep leads to, well, sleepiness. Nothing like falling asleep in class, at a meeting, or (heaven forbid) at the wheel.  It also leads to that thing around our waist that some people call the "spare tire" and others call the "love handles".


Here is a great book upon the recommendation of Robb Wolf via my hubby (that I have yet to read) on the importance of sleep.

I am excited to find out that there are some of you out there who are joining me on my journey and I'd like to take the time to tell you a little about where I'm coming from.  I'm a mom of three: 5 11/12 years (his birthday is next month!), 2 years, and 4 months.  I love spending time with my kids and I'm amazed at how quickly they are growing up! I also take care of 20 6 and 7 year olds.  I'm a full-time first grade teacher. It takes a lot of energy, but the rewards are great!  I also have a wonderful husband to whom I've been married to for 7 1/2 years and been with for 13 years.  I am blessed to have been born and raised in the state of Hawaii and try to enjoy our beautiful islands as much as possible. Surprisingly, I don't know how to surf, but I do want to learn one day!

I returned to work from maternity leave in January.   My husband, a certified (but "retired") personal and crossfit trainer, had been dabbling in paleo for several months, suggested that January would be a great time to start working out and eating right.  With him by my side, there was no excuse to not get back into pre-pregnancy, if not better, shape and condition. I decided to begin my 30 day paleo challenge on January 3rd and I've been going strong ever since.

Realistically, I'm able to control what I eat, but unable to control where my time goes throughout the day.  So some days I get to work out, and some days I don't.  Depends on the school, work, practice, housework, and hungry baby schedules.  Sometimes those 15 crossfit minutes just don't fit in there.  But at this point, I know it's okay.  I'll have a lot more time later to work out.  Right now, the priority is being here with my kids when I can.  They will only be little for so long.

So my journey into paleo has just begun. You're welcome to enjoy along with me. You can look forward to recipes, workouts, reflections, and maybe a funny story or two.  I hope I can make you laugh, or cry, or inspire you to be healthier, be happier, be the person you want to be. Because although this journey may have started with just food.  This is a journey that can and will last a lifetime.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment