Saturday, March 19, 2011

Teaching an Ol' Burger New Tricks


I was so thrilled with the success of my last burger that I decided to experiment with some different types of meats and fixings this time around.  Given my husband's obsession with Italian sausage lately, I decided to add that to the mix.  The kids really enjoyed the meal and my daughter viewed it as a "giant meatball"! 
There were leftovers, but I must say, eating the burgers freshly cooked was the best way to go.  I think my next step would be to prep them ahead of time and throw them on the grill. But that is for another episode.  Enjoy!

Italian Swine Flew Burgers
(and yes, turkeys don't fly, but I couldn't resist the title!)

1.25 lb ground turkey
1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
2 large handfuls of baby spinach, washed and chopped fine
4 roasted red peppers (from the bottle), diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1/4 red onion, sliced (or more if you desire)
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
olive oil for cooking

Combine the meats first and mix until the consistency is uniform. Then add all the ingredients except for the sliced onions and olive oil.  Mix well form into palm sized patties and cook in about 1 Tbsp olive oil 5-7 minutes on med-high heat.

Grill the sliced onion for garnish and you can also add an easy over egg on top.  I served mine on a bed of baby spinach.

Maybe not super quick, but super easy!

2 comments:

  1. Is that yolk I see??? Mmmm! Sounds like a winner! You are amazingly creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is the egg yolk. It broke as I was plating it and thought it looked pretty cool! It was yummy too!

    ReplyDelete